Friday 25 March 2011

the notions of art as object with no real status


I’d like the notion of buying my paintings and pieces to be like the buying of a CD: it’s cheap, it’s art and hopefully it changes your life (or at least your day, or your week) just a little. Rather like a CD the object has no real status. Something evolved and created for and from the moment (or moments) I painted it, for that moment you enjoyed it. Something with none of the boundaries the coldness of galleries and gallery prices can throw up. This isn’t a comment on how other people do things, just the way I want to enjoy my creative process right now. I don’t object to galleries or having my work in galleries, but I do enjoy the notion of taking the financial status away and the piece of art having no real financial status. Art on market stalls, art left on the street, sold on ebay for 1p. I have been leaving a lot of art on the streets over the last two years, people often complain that they never have a chance to find anything and that the process is a little hit and miss…

Tomorrow, Saturday, I shall once more be painting at my stall on Netil Market, Hackney, London E8 (by London Fields park and just by the railway bridge in the little carpark by Netil House and Mare Street). Pieces of work will be on sale at prices ranging between £1.00 and £30.00. if you think they should be cheaper say so, gave quite a few away last week (will paint for food or cups of coffee though… )

And now I shall go enjoy this glorious weather and paint outside the front of the studio…

No comments:

Post a Comment