Thursday 13 May 2010

throwing ideas and galleries and affordable art fairs about... come get involved...



So now, where were we, this week has been taken up with talk of collectives, of gallery space, of DIY and doing things ourselves, raging against the art machine as it were... paint has hardly touched canvas (or cardboard or vinyl) this week, only Wednesday morning, paint must be thrown at least once a day though, thems the rules and some rules should not be broken... Hop leaves are out and ready to be painted...

So here's an update just for the record, blue vinyl, 7"blue vinyl, another bit of old ORG records stock, everyone who ever ran a small label must have loads of unwanted bits left over, I'm painting all ours and leaving it on the street... that one was a Dream City Film Club/Rhatigan split single, limited to 1000 but we only sold about 800 so... nothing is ever thrown away here, everything can be turned in to a canvas....

The Gallery space we are now working with is in the basement area of a friendly bohemian cafe/venue called Patrick's Harvist, good coffee, great looking cakes, really friendly people, a breath of fresh air is this part of NW10...

I really didn't plan to get involved in running gallery space but now it has happened I'm rather excited about the idea... After my years of putting on hundred of gigs (thousands, really think it got in to four figures, that's one hell of a lot of tedious sound checks, drummers, people counting to two, guitarist's egos, singers turning up late, fights, beer, broken stage drivers in hospital runs) , no, I really didn't want to get involved in putting on art events and being the one doing all the organising again... seems I must though, galleries in London really aren't that artist friendly are they, I'd rather do it all myself then take all their money grabbing crap...

So we start off with the simple idea of an Affordable Art Fair in early June, with bands, events, and four days of doing it all the Organ way (damn, more band soundchecks!). Loads of fresh exciting art in the gallery area.... all I need now is a whole load of exciting/excited artists to come join in. I want to make this a monthly event, got to make the first one work though. can't do that by myself...

And then there's the first group show straight after... two weeks of paintings on walls... four or five painters sharing walls, I'm one of the four or five, if you think your work fits on the same walls as mine then come yell... if you don't think it fits and you're thinking, no, I don't want to share space with all those leaves and that spray paint and almost (but not quite) out of control paint throwing, but you still fancy the space and taking advantage of our organising energy and publicity drive then please come talk to me about ideas for the space, for your show, your group show... I'm open to all ideas, all art, I have to respect the place, the people, the cafe so Ron Athey style naked upside down and bleeding type performance art I maybe just have to pass on with regards to this space right now... Wonder if Ron paints pretty flowers?

The Collective idea... still chewing on those ideas, if you have any add them as comments... say hello anyway, who are you lurking there... And yes, I did do the "Please Choose One" miniature pieces drop, I hid with a camera and spied on you taking them... well I was near by, not that hidden, they all went in about an hour, did it on the South Bank by the Thames, I'll tell you about it when I have a moment... must paint...

The Gallery Space is at

PATRICK'S HARVIST GALLERY SPACE
underneath PATRICK'S HARVIST CAFE
45 CHAMBERLAYNE ROAD
KENSAL RISE
LONDON NW10

Go have a look at it if you want, be aware though, the art currently hung in the basement was not hung by us, lthough I do rather like some of the work there, and I'm wel aware that I need to do something about the lighting before we kick off in June.... Actually, if you are going to lok at the space give me a shout, I'm just around the corner and I don't bite... right, sun out, time to sling paint...

No comments:

Post a Comment